Careers & More
All too often, high school graduates with intellectual/developmental disabilities find themselves with limited options when transitioning to adulthood. Opportunities for fulfilling careers are often simply out of reach. This was the fundamental reason for the creation of Lakemary’s newest program - “Careers & More”. The program provides young adults and their families new reasons for being excited about what lies ahead.
In an exciting partnership with MidAmerica Nazarene University, “Careers & More” is an individualized career development program that empowers highly motivated high school graduates with intellectual/developmental disabilities to discover strengths and develop skills in order to prepare for a lifetime of success in the workplace.
For more information or to apply, please visit the Careers and More website.
- Develop team building and social skills.
- Growth of overall career skills.
- Identify preferred career tracks.
- Develop a better understanding of resume building, interviewing and the job search process.
- Individualized career placement within a 2-year time frame.
- Continued long-term employment in an industry the individual enjoys.
Criteria for Admission
- 18-25 years of age.
- Diagnosed with an intellectual or developmental disability (I/DD).
- Eligibility determination for I/DD services completed by the Community Developmental Disability Organization (CDDO).
- Motivated to participate in community employment.
- Ability to accept and follow rules and expectations.
- Ability to participate in small group activities.
- Independently maintain daily hygiene care and toileting.
- Communicate verbally.
- High school graduate or certificate of completion.